Home Tap to Call Now

Is Your Chimney Making You Sick?

Imagine this: A crackling fire warms your Conroe home as you settle for a relaxing evening. But instead of feeling peaceful, you’re struck by a cough, sneeze, and scratchy throat. While these symptoms might make you think of the common cold, they could also signify a more surprising culprit – your chimney!

So, is your chimney making you sick? Let’s explore the causes and cures to keep your home healthy and safe.

professional chimney cleaning in Conroe TXCauses of Chimney-Related Illness in Southeast Texas

Regular use of a gas or wood-burning fireplace leads to a buildup of leaves, dirt, moisture, and even critters inside the flue. A neglected chimney can pose serious health risks if you last had a professional cleaning a while ago. It can leave you feeling like you are under the weather and compromise the air quality in your home. It can also adversely affect your pets!

Smoke Inhalation 

Burning wood or gas produces smoke, creosote, soot, and other fine particles. A dirty chimney allows these contaminants to build up inside the flue, potentially leaking back into your home. Inhaling these irritants can lead to burning eyes, respiratory issues, and worsen allergies and asthma symptoms.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas byproduct of combustion. A clogged chimney can trap it, causing it to backflow into your living space. Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms like headaches, nausea, and dizziness. In severe cases, CO poisoning can be fatal.

Mold Growth 

Moisture trapped inside a dirty chimney can create the perfect environment for mold growth. Tiny mold spores can become airborne and travel through vents to other rooms in your home, causing respiratory problems, allergies, and skin irritation.

The Cure: Regular Chimney Cleaning

The good news is that these health risks are easily preventable with routine chimney cleaning. Here in the Conroe-Houston-Sugar Land metro area, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends annual chimney inspections and cleanings for fireplaces used regularly. A certified chimney sweep will remove built-up debris, inspect for damage, and ensure proper ventilation.

Keeping Your Home and Family Healthy

By prioritizing regular chimney cleaning, you can ensure your Conroe fireplace remains a source of warmth and comfort, free from health hazards. Don’t wait until you’re feeling under the weather – schedule a professional chimney cleaning today and breathe easy, knowing your fireplace is safe for you and your family. Also, fire experts highly recommend that homeowners install carbon monoxide detectors. These lifesaving devices can alert you to CO in your home, giving you time to evacuate and seek medical attention. Place detectors on each floor of your home, including outside sleeping areas.

By taking these steps, your chimney and fireplace will be a safer and more enjoyable source of warmth for your Southeast Texas home.

chimney inspections in Atascocita TXWe Cure Chimney Problems in Houston, TX

Remember, a healthy chimney equals a healthier home! Guardian Chimney Sweep is your chimney’s guardian angel in southeast Texas. Our thousands of satisfied customers trust us for professional chimney cleaning, inspections, and repairs. We guarantee our services and provide detailed written estimates for any work. Our Certified Chimney Professional® will also include images, including video, if applicable, and answer any questions. You’ll see why we love our customers. 

Don’t wait for your chimney to make you sick. Call us today at the telephone number closest to your Southeast Texas home or complete our online contact form to schedule a professional cleaning and inspection.